Paris: Atos, has been included in the FTSE4GOOD and the ASPI Eurozone indices in recognition of its environmental and social practices.
"Information Technology is the engine of sustainable progress for companies, organizations and society at large," said Philippe Mareine, EVP General Secretary at Atos, in charge of Corporate and Social Responsibility.
Atos's recognition is for projects such as
- Building one of the world's most eco-efficient data centers in Helsinki in cooperation with the Finnish company Academica Oy to deliver services to clients across Europe. The data center will use sea water for cooling and the heat produced by the datacenter is used to provide heating for more than 2000 households.
- Becoming one of the first international IT Groups to offer Carbon Neutral hosting services in all its data centers.
- Measuring its carbon footprint on an annual basis; it realized a 16% reduction in its global carbon footprint over the past two years (at constant scope).
- Join the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI). In 2010 GRI awarded the Atos 2010 report its highest level qualification, A+.
- Signing the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC) — - to operate under universally recognized responsible business principles.
- Developing a Sustainable Solutions portfolio — Ambition Carbon Free — that enables clients to transform to a sustainable business model.
- Supporting a windmill turbine project in the Thar Desert in India which enables the use of renewable energy to reduce carbon emissions and which provides the local community with a clean water supply, facilitation of a vaccination program and reconstruction of a village school.
The FTSE4Good Index Series is designed to measure the performance of companies that meet globally recognised corporate responsibility standards. It is used by investors as a basis for creating index-tracking investments focusing on responsible investment. It is also a reference by which companies can assess their progress and achievement in this area, as well as a benchmark index to track the performance of responsible investment portfolios.
The ASPI Eurozone ® index selects the 120 listed companies in the euro zone that got the best social responsibility rating.